August 28, 2014

Performing Arts

I was never an artistic person, whether it be visual arts (I could never, and still can't, draw a proper car, person or tree) or performing arts. The extent of my involvement in performing arts, if you can even call it that: I was in my school choir for 2 years, the choral speaking team for another 2 years and have performed for the closing of the SUKMA games. Hmmm....

I've always admired people from the world of performing arts. Their passion, their dedication, the energy they exude. But apart from that, what I really look up to in these people is the courage they have to perform in front of a myriad of people. It can be one person or 500 people, and yet, it seems that the more people there are, the better they perform. It could be the energy that they absorb from the audience, envelops them so and inspires them to perform well. I don't know.

Saying all these, I've finally began to explore my "artistic" side this year. And by explore, I mean it VERY vaguely! This is due to my sister who happens to work in an NGO that is sometimes a beneficiary of the events of the performing arts. I've been to two benefit acts this year - the first being a musical titled 'Sinbad'. I really enjoyed myself and for the first time, I got to watch an actual musical performed by professionals. The second show that I watched was a fundraiser drama by the students from Inti College. Of course, it's just impossible to compare the two. Suffice to say, the students did the best that they could.

This brings me to the subject of this entry (and of the next): I recently attended the Short and Sweet Malaysia Dance Competition that is currently being held in conjunction with the Georgetown Festival 2014. I had planned to attend a few events that are being organised for the festival just to feel "involved". I had not planned nor heard of this competition until a friend told me about it - and that he was taking part as the choreographer of a group!! The icing on the cake was that he was working with disabled DANCERS and that the audience could also partake in the voting process!! So...this was a definite go!

I'd learned a bit about the background of the group that my friend was working with (he was not dancing this time as he had undergone a surgery) and have heard reviews of their past performances, which I must say, were all positive! So, of course I was eager to see them in action. The only performing disabled person I've seen is Artie from Glee. Yeah I know!

There were some glitches/problems at the beginning in that there were no available dancers to join the disabled group. But soon after, things got sorted out and practice and rehearsals were underway. According to my friend, the tech run two days before the competition was fun and that it went really well, so that sort of set the tone (for me at least) that things were going to go well.

And then it was competition day (I watched it along with my mum and sis and a whole gang of my friend's friends who come to support him)....

My amateur reviews of the performances are in my next entry....



No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...