August 28, 2014

Short and Sweet Malaysia 2014 Dance Competition

So here goes my AMATEUR review of the performances from last night's Short and Sweet Malaysia 2014 Dance Competition. To me, performing arts is about portraying/delivering artful pieces/performance that engages, touches, inspires, the soul of the audience; and so, I have tried to keep to this in my reviews.

*I missed taking photos of the first three performances.


1. ‘… their journey …’

This was a jungle-themed dance, with the dancers dressed in costumes that looked like it came from Thailand. The dance began with a group of men and as they moved around, their movements matched the feel and tone of the music. The dance was engaging until the two female dancers entered the stage. It was then that I lost the plot of the dance. I wasn't sure what to make out of the female dancers, as I could not understand what they were trying to project. Maybe it was a dance of attraction as the group of men were sitting in a corner watching them. Then a female and male dancer danced a couple's piece, to which I felt that there was no chemistry between them. The dance movements at times were not as synchronised as it was at the beginning.

Overall, it was a good opening to the competition.

2. Breath of Heaven

This prayer-themed dance was performed by two females whom I am guessing are/were ballerinas. Unfortunately, the two dancers were not strong; in fact, one kept fumbling her steps, always landing and then adjusting which disrupted the flow of the dance. Unlike the first, I understood the dance and what is was trying to say, however, it was the song that made the dance. The song was meaningful and beautiful, touching the soul. I did not get the same emotion from the dancers.

In my opinion, with more practice, it could have been a beautiful performance. 


3. Sayang disayang

This was a very ethnic Malay/Merdeka themed solo dance. From the song to the costume to the setting. The dance movements complemented the song; but I could not really figure out what the message was. Was is about love for the country/patriotism? Was it to reminisce about the past? I don't know. 


4. Spices of India



Performed by very young Bharata Natyam students, this Indian themed dance was engaging. The dancers were very enthusiastic; I know how hard it is to learn the traditional dance, so the fact that at times they were a bit "messy" is forgivable. When the modern music began, the performance started to look out of place. I would have preferred them to stick to the traditional but alas....maybe they wanted to combine traditional and modern.

I give them an "A" for effort and the fact that they were all constantly smiling throughout the entire performance.


5.  The Only Disability In Life Ia A Bad Attitude

*This was the performance that I had come to watch and so, my review may sound bias.




This was the only group that combined able - bodied and disabled performers. The dance was Grease-inspired, with simple dance moves and a catchy song. With two performers in wheelchairs, the group was in sync and did not appear to have difficulty moving around the stage. This was the shortest dance of the whole competition, which to me, left little to be desired. It was not long enough for me to FEEL or be touched. But then again, with the fast beat of song, I doubt much emotion could be projected. I think the highlight of the dance was the one- hand stand by one of the disabled dancers. Though it may be easy for him, I very much doubt that most of us in the audience can actually do a handstand!!

Though the whole dance in itself did not project much emotion that I could engage with, it did leave me thinking of how much more the group could do if given the time and opportunity. After all, since I know the "behind-the-scenes" story of their participation, I'm pretty sure they did the best that they could. It was indeed a very commendable effort!!


6.  The Insider



This was another ballet themed group dance, which unfortunately started out wrong; which then lead to the group being confused, with one dancer even falling. This group was easily the best dressed as they all looked like orange/peach swans with masks. This group showed much promise but in the end, was a let down.

The song was a haunting tune that stayed in my mind after the dance ended. They probably need a second chance.


7. Before It Begins, After It Ends



The second solo performance of the night, this dance started out in the dark with no music. The dancer held a microphone while making noises. Then a monologue by Robin Williams from the movie Vietnam War (I'm guessing it's that movie) came on and to that, he started an interpretive dance. From the monologue, a slow song started playing to which there were more emotional dance and expressions.

He was a strong dancer with strong movements; but the over-the-top emotions, expressions and sounds kept me distracted from the grace of his dance.


---------------------------------

Well....it was only Day 1 and there are still 2 more days of performances to go before the prize giving ceremony. That's two days for improvement for those who fumbled, two days for those who did well to inspire others and get more votes.

I'll be going again on the last day to see the winners! Hopefully, the group that I'm supporting comes out tops!!! :-)





No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...