March 3, 2013

Sunny and Lost Day


When I woke up this morning and looked out the window, the first thing I noticed was that it was so BRIGHT outside! I thought that I had slept in and it was nearly noon. But when I looked at the time, it was only a little past 7am!! The sun was up!!! When I opened the window, I heard birds chirping! Oh…how wonderful! And just yesterday Christoph was saying that this has been one of the longest winters to date. I think spring is near!!! J

By the way, here’s something I forgot to update from Marie’s party yday. Apparently, George Clooney is in town and he rented a whole bar where one of Marie’s friends works at. She had asked him if she could just go and meet him or even just look at him up close, but the friend said no etc. And then half way through the party, her hsemate called and said he was in that bar, as the friend who works at the bar let him in!! Can you imagine?? George Clooney is in Berlin apparently for a film shoot. Sighs…if Marie had gone, I would have gone with her regardless of whether I was allowed in or not!

Anyway, I left my apartment at around 11.30am and headed straight to Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe), one of the most famous and biggest malls in Europe. It was quite easy getting there and my very very very first impression the moment I stepped in was, “I feel like Julia Roberts.” All the labels and brands I saw were luxury items: Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton, Prada, Rolex and the list just goes on. Even walking around just browsing made me feel small and insignificant. Floor after floor I went, browsing very quickly coz I knew I couldn’t afford anything (although I did buy Godiva chocolates!!), and it’s not as though I don’t see the same stuff back home; finally, I reached the famed 6th floor, the so called ‘Winter Garden – Restaurant’. People have raved about this place but I really didn’t find it that great. Yes, it was quite big and there was a lot of food, but it’s not as impressive as what people claim it to be. I guess they haven’t been to Penang, let alone Malaysia!

My real adventure started when I decided to head home. I had Googled and checked the routes I was supposed to take to go and return from KaDeWe. Getting there was fine; the return was a bit scary. I followed the directions from the net to get there and it was fine. So there should be no problem going back right? WRONG! Apparently, Google was right; but I think the train I was supposed to take back was either spoiled or not running today! It only went to two stops and everyone had to alight. I thought I could take another train, easy. But the stop that we had to alight to was not a main station where there are other trains, and before I could catch my breath and ask someone, everyone seemed to have disappeared!!

So…I decided to take another train that was HEADED to KaDeWe, where I just came from and see what I could do. Thankfully, I remembered the number of the bus that goes to a stop near my place, so I decided to take the bus back. While on the bus, I began to think that it wasn’t a good idea coz the bus seemed to be going to places I never heard of or saw! After about 30 minutes, then I started to recognize buildings and street names; my stop was the last stop of the route. I was so relieved! It stopped right near Karstadt where I did my initial souvenir shopping; and so I decided to go browse again. Of course, with one week to go and not wanting to rush at the last minute, I am almost done shopping for souvenirs. Just 2-3 more to go but it can easily be bought and I know where to get them!

Oh ya…I tried to take pictures inside KaDeWe and I got told off nicely. L

Also, when I got home, I found my bed sheets and pillow-cases changed despite my hsemate being sick.

I spent the evening online as the temperature started to drop coz I felt cold.

-- 

5 comments:

SFGEMS said...

That panic feeling when you think you're lost until you suddenly see a family landmark...

Sends the adrenalic flowing...

Vayshna said...

Well I think an adventure is never truly completed until you've been lost at least once! hehe!

Shakun said...

Family or familiar? Adrenalic or adrenaline? Hehehe...

SFGEMS said...

Aiyoyo!

I stand corrected! Hahahahha

Shakun said...

Hehe!

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...