October 19, 2009

And it's all over once again

Two full days of festivities - eating, drinking, laughing, talking loudly. Ahhh.....I wait for this every year, when everyone is gathered in a small house, enjoying each other's company, catching up on the past year's happenings, all while munching on murukus and other little titbits.
Deepavali is the festival of lights and indeed...I do feel that this festival lights up our lives. You can see it in the lights that shine from every Hindu house; from the smiles and eyes of grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts and cousins; on the neighbours' face when you share with them all the murukus, ghee balls, cookies etc; and also...I believe, on the faces of the Gods.

This year, once again, I had a blast. Of course...all this would not have happened but for the long list of "things to-do": washing, cleaning, making the muruku etc!! Not forgetting the "almost" tragedy that happened which rendered my poor aunt immobile during Deepavali.

Anyhow, as usual, Deepavali eve saw the whole family gathered at my grandparents' house for the prayers. Although the eve is set for prayers to the deceased, it always becomes a reunion of sorts, as EVERYONE will be there. It's as though there's a silent rule that says, "Everyone in the Arumugam family has to be present on the eve of Deepavali". This I find especially weird because, instead of everyone gathering on Deepavali day itself, we do it on the eve!! Anyway, there was the usual GREAT food and FANTASTIC company despite the usual delay in beginning the prayers. I suppose this was expected since the prayers ALWAYS starts late (every year)!!

Deepavali day of course saw most of us dressed in our new outfits. I saw 'most of us' as my grandmothers and aunts opted for the more comfortable "housecoats" as they were busy cooking. After having brunch, we cousins then proceeded to have our annual photography session.

There are only a few of us here as other cousins came later in the day and some are overseas.

By mid-afternoon, we were all tired and so my family and I headed home to have a siesta. That night, we returned to my grandparents' house for dinner and more laughter. :-)

As always, I enjoyed Deepavali this year and it's a bummer that I have to return to work tomorrow. If only my holiday could be longer....haiz!! HAHA!!

More pics on Facebook!

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...