November 16, 2013

Alumni Conference 2013

I got up this morning and the first thing I did was smell the jacket and clothes that I wore yesterday. Since I could not stand the smell of smoke that was stuck on my clothes and jacket, last night I proceeded to spray perfume and then used the hair dryer to blow hot hair all over my clothes. At that point, I was desperate enough to try out anything, even if it did not make any sense. But surprisingly, when I went to smell my jacket and clothes, the smoke smell was GONE! Lol! 

Anyway, today was the reason why I made the long trip from Malaysia: the Alumni Conference. I was told that around 30 people would be attending but there were more. And to my pleasant surprise, the majority of the people were of my generation or even younger!! Back in my organisation, most of our partners are of the older generation, so any meetings or conferences or workshops would see me as one of the youngest. It was a pleasant change this time round. 

At first it was a bit awkward for me as everybody seemed to know everyone; but once the ice was broken, we could all mingle like we were old friends. I don't think I met every single person but the group of people I was with were a nice bunch. Unfortunately (or not), there were no cute guys! LOL! 

As this was an Alumni Conference, the participants were of course former interns or volunteers or trainees that had been with ECCHR at some point or another. Interestingly or rather intimidating-ly, whoever I spoke to either had a Masters or double Masters Degree, or were in the process of doing their PhD. At times I actually felt like I somehow lacked the "experience" or qualification to be in the group. But then, I told myself that instead of a Masters or Phd, I have 6 years of on the ground work experience that they may not have. So in a way, we're equals; and in another way, we're not. Get what I mean?

The day was long in that there were 3 sessions; after which we had a small reception, then had a good buffet dinner. I finally met Qiao Qiao, the 3rd Global Exchanger, whom I've only communicated with so far. 4 of the 5 Global Exchangers are here in Berlin. 

The official Alumni Conference is over. But there is a 4-hour workshop tomorrow organised by some of the Alumni. This is outside of the Conference and only a small group is expected. Later that night, it's the Annual Office Party, where around 200 people are expected, so that's going to be BIG! 

After today, my trip seems so quick. I can't believe that I will be leaving the day after tomorrow, returning to the same routine once again. I have not taken much photos this trip, though I hope to take a few tomorrow. 

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...