March 28, 2017

3 months into 2017

In a couple of days, March will end. That means ¼ of the year has gone by. And as cliché as it sounds, time just flew by. So what has happened since my New Year entry?

Well, not much sadly. My desktop at home has died. I’m not sure if it’s because of the power supply or the motherboard or whatever computer related problems that renders a desktop dead. Anyhow, I have decided not to get it fixed as: 1) it’s really old; 2) it was a second hand desktop; 3) I think it is high time I upgraded to a laptop. After all, it saves space and is easier to carry around. But the decision to get a laptop is a whole other story – while I have decided that it is indeed a laptop that would be purchased, the WHEN is the problem. But that deserves an entry all on its own (which I will not do). Suffice to say, the Scrooge in me is calling the shots.

Oh…before I forget, one unbelievable thing that happened in January, that I can tick off my bucket list is: I WORE A DRESS!! Yes!! No big deal to most of the female population but for me, my mum and my sis…WHOA it was as though history was made! Apart from my childhood and pinafore-wearing days, I have not worn a dress or skirt. Somehow, I’m more of a tomboy when it comes to this; adding to the fact that I have extremely thin legs and arms (read: twig-like), nope…no dresses for me. Weirdly, I don’t consider a saree or baju kurung a dress (if you get what I mean) so I have no qualms wearing those.

And so, for my company’s CNY luncheon this year, I was sort of “pressured” into wearing a Cheongsam. And oh my God…I suffered. I actually wore tights underneath the cheongsam so that I felt “secured”. Lo and behold, my discomfort and suffering sort of balanced out with the amount of praises I got (*perasan). And my mum could not wait to post my pictures on Facebook!! Hahaha!! Nevertheless, I think I’ll stick to pants for the next couple of months, until and unless there is a “dire” situation where a dress is required to be worn.

I attended another wedding in early March. So that’s one wedding done; another in July. Sighs. Not that I’m sad but weddings make me reflective. I’m not dying to get married but it is tiresome having to deflect all the questions and insinuations. Oh well…

My sister went on her maiden trip with her friends to Korea. It was a full expense-paid trip (I still can’t get over this). She got back a couple of days ago and brought back facial masks that will probably last us for months. I hope my complexion improves and I will be as glowing as those Korean girls. Lol! I’m still jealous that she went to Korea; and this is spurring me to plan my holiday in Vietnam. While the Scrooge in me is doing real well in this game of ‘thug-of-war’ (i.e. spend vs save) I’m determined to go on a holiday (or two) this year.

One change in me that I have noticed since the year started is that, I’m beginning to want to enjoy. I have always practiced the ‘save first, spend later’ philisophy and it has been good for my bank balance. However, I do feel left out, jealous, frustrated even, when I see my friends travelling, having a good time etc. And so, this year, I told myself that I would do the opposite i.e. ‘spend first, save later’. And how has it been so far? DIFFICULT! It is always at the back of my mind that I need to save; that this expenditure is not necessary; it is expensive…etc. But, I have had numerous signs, reminders, telling offs from family and friends, telling me to go and enjoy; have fun; DON’T DIE RICH and REGRETFUL.

I’ll be reaching my mid-30s soon and while there is still a long way to go, I need to start enjoying NOW. I’m at one end of the spectrum where spending is a NO-NO; and I am beginning to come to terms with having to let go of something to be able to enjoy and live life to the fullest. For the past 9 years of my working life, I have always set a target of how much I should have in my bank balance at the end of the year; and I have fulfilled this every single year. But 2017 will be different. I will continue to save as much as I can without sacrificing my enjoyment. I’m not exactly sure how I will feel at the end of the year when I see my bank balance, but that is a bridge to be crossed later.

Finally, come March 31st, I will have officially been in my “new” job for one year. While I feel like I have learned a lot, I also know that there is more to come. But I have a good, encouraging boss, helpful colleagues, and wonderful family and friends. I’m positive the next ¾ of 2017 will be fantastic!

p.s. I’ve suddenly become addicted (again) to Korean dramas!   

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...