October 7, 2008

Of long houses and river-bathing

I'm back after the Raya hols and my oh my....there's tonnes of work to be done. And so...since I won't be here from the 11th to the 19th, this is my last entry for the time being.

In 4 days' time, I'll be leaving the beautiful island of Penang for a 9 day stint in Bintulu, Sarawak. I'll be spending the first 3 days at a hotel. As for the remaining 6 days, I'll be putting up at several long houses, if I am not mistaken. The reason I'm going is to monitor the living, working and health conditions of the people there.

I'm excited as this is my first time to Sarawak. I've heard that it is a beautiful place and the people there are as friendly and welcoming as one can be. So welcoming that, when I told family and friends that I was going to Sarawak, they all had the same comment: that I had to drink the local "treat" that was served to guests, TUAK!! God knows how or what that drink is made of but it is well-known that one cannot refuse the invitation as it would be considered an insult. Furthermore, there are some tribes that eat worm-like creatures or maggots from plants!! I hope I don't have to endure any of this!!

Having to live in a long house, maybe bathing in a river and doing my "businesses" in a "bathroom" or "pondok" that's located a few yards/metres away, is already an experience in itself!! My mother even has a "feeling" that I may return with a tatoo!!

Well....until I return from Sarawak, I can only imagine what lies ahead. No point worrying as it is better to think positively and hope for the best. It may not be as bad as I thought it would be!! :-)

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...