February 9, 2009

Refreshed

My family and I fulfilled our vows last Saturday, which was the eve of Thaipusam. As I said in one of my entries, I decided to carry a milk pot this year. This is only my second time doing so. Despite numerous "generous" suggestions that I bald my head this year, I stuck to what I could do sincerely and willingly.

We had initially planned to make the journey (from Waterfall Temple to the Hill Top Temple) at 12am Saturday. After gathering at my grandma's house, we all headed to the temple, only to find that it was closed!! Imagine our chagrin at, not only finding the temple closed but also that we were 6 hours too early!! Thank God a priest was there and after clearing the timing with him, we headed back home to get some sleep. According to the priest, the temples will only be open for 24 hours once the chariot leaves the temple at Queen Street. And so...we headed back home to get a few hours' sleep. We usually start our journey at about 6am. I don't know why the plans were changed this year. It was a big joke!!

6am - we once again gathered at my grandma's house. This time, we went to see the chariot first before heading to Waterfall Temple. We usually see the chariot before fulfilling our vows. (This time however, I felt that one of the reasons why we went to see the chariot, was to make sure that it had started its journey; so that we could be assured that the temples will be open!!)

By the time we reached Waterfall Temple, it was bright and already filled with people. We prepared our milk pots and my cousin's kavadi and we were on our way. The journey to the other temple doesn't take long. However, this year, I was accompanied by my little cousin and with her short legs (and I mean it in the most adorable way possible) it took slightly longer as her strides were so short. In fact, we were quite behind compared to my other cousins and aunt who were way ahead of us.

Nevertheless, we caught up. The journey up hill was okay for me. That is, until I was nearly reaching the top when my right leg started to hurt. I put it down to lack of exercise. :-)

Anyway, upon reaching the top, we found that it was filled with people. Apparently, people decided to start on the eve itself. It's not rare for people to start fulfilling their vows on the eve. This year however, the number were double. Triple. There were just so many people. Once we surrendered our offerings, we sat in the temple for awhile. Relaxing our legs!! :D

The journey down hill was of course much easier. And the view was simple beautiful. The oldies (read: grandmas, aunt and amah!! haha!!) were waiting downstairs for us.

Overall, that day proved to be a refreshing day for me. I'd fulfilled my vow (actually, I didn't promise anything. Rather, I prayed for a good year ahead for me and my family) and completed my journey of cleansing myself and my family. I felt clean (spiritually), blessed and hopeful. I know that God heard me and I am satisfied. :-)

p.s. the crowd that night was so bad that my uncle actually stood for 2 hours as he couldn't move left or right, front or back!! Needless to say, I didn't go to the temple when the chariot arrived. Nor did I go on Thaipusam day itself. My dad refused to let us get caught in the human traffic. The only sad thing I feel is that I didn't get to see any kavadis this year.










1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

The pictures are a tad tiny for my poor eyesight. :(

Next time, make them bigger, please!!!!! :)

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...