June 20, 2009

Father's Day

We look so much alike that strangers on the roadside actually recognise me as “Shun’s daughter”!! I’ve had people walk up to me, asking me, how is my father(?!) and I don’t even know who they are! That’s how much I look like my dad. My father’s old friends say I look exactly like him when he was younger – minus the moustache!!

[Me on the left; dad is centre; sis on the right]

My father and I have never been that close. Being a musician, he was away most of my growing years, travelling in and around the country for work. I saw him maybe once or twice every few months when he returned (with presents!), then he’ll go off again for another few months. Nevertheless, despite travelling so often and for an extensive period, he never failed to call. If he was in Malaysia, there would be at least 2-3 calls per day. If he was overseas, he would call at least once a day.

Since my father was always away during our younger years, it is only natural that my sister and I are closer to my mother. Anything and everything had to go through mum, from making decisions to asking permission, eventhough dad was around! In fact, when dad was around, my sister and I actually felt weird. It didn’t feel “normal” having him around, as we were so used to him being absent.

When he retired from being a musician, it took a while for the whole family to adjust to him being around all the time. At one point, he seemed to be EVERYWHERE and it was disturbing!! Haha!!

But it was nice. Since mum didn’t drive, having dad around meant that there were car-rides and eating out! Soon, we got used to seeing him reading the newspaper in the morning as we got ready for school; to him asking us if we wanted to have lunch or dinner; to him following us to buy groceries. In fact, we got so used to him being around that we soon had him buying groceries without us!! He even offered to buy the “girly” stuff if we needed it but of course, that was off limits!!

As I left high school, started college and then started work, having dad around was a blessing. I got good career advice from someone who had such a wide range of experience. He advised me on what to expect from the working world; how to deal with office politics and disgruntled bosses. He still treats me like his little girl (I don’t think that will ever change!); but then, he also treats me like the adult that I am, sharing with me his concerns, problems and worries.

Now...instead of him being “everywhere”, I worry when he does not come home in time; or when he gets the sniffles; or when he just doesn’t feel well. Only now, as he ages and slows down, am I beginning to appreciate him and his presence.

As I mature and progress in my life, I am reminded that life is not all about chasing dreams and making money. We get so caught up in this chase, that we lose track of what is important. Loved ones like my dad and mum were always there for me when I needed them, it is now my time to return the deed. I always tell myself that, anything I give them will never be enough as they have given me life. Therefore, for as long as it takes, I will always, treasure, appreciate and love my dad and mum.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, APAH!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is one pix oo me and apah when I was pregnant with vay. Check it out , it is near the tv where we keep the remote. She looks just like me then!

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...