June 14, 2009

The night I turned into Princess Jasmine

One week after the traditional wedding ceremony, the customary wedding reception was held. This time, it was held in Penang as it was organised by the bride's side. And as always, I was worried about what I was going to wear for the dinner. After all the fuss about having to wear a saree during the traditional ceremony, it was a relief to find out that we did not have to wear a saree for the reception as it was a 'modern' dinner. My sister already had her outfit ready for the dinner, even before the traditional ceremony. As for me, up until a few hours before the dinner, I still had no idea what I was going to wear!!

To anyone who knows me, they'll know that I hate wearing dresses or skirts, so either one of those were out of the question. So that left me with pants, but of course jeans were out of the question as well, although I would have LOVED to wear one!! Since my sis had a replacement class yesterday, we had to send her to college all the way up in Tanjung Bungah. On the way, there is a Thai fair that sells everything from clothes to shoes to bags. So of course, I had to stop there.
I found a variety of pants there and I couldn't make up my mind which one I should get; and being thrifty, I didn't want to buy every single one!! So in the end, I settled for one that, not only I liked but also one that will not emphasize my thin legs. Back home however, I found out that I did not have a proper top to match the pants!!! And that was like 5 hours before the dinner. So I announced that I was not going to attend the dinner!! Right up till my sister and mum were getting ready, I still had not found a proper top to match my pants!! I ran up to my room, dug my cupboard and prayed feverishly that I'd find a top. To top it off, my mum insisted that I needed to wear LOTS of accessories!!
In the end, I did not only find a top to match, I had the whole works: bangles, earrings and even shoes!! This was the result:

As you can see, I managed to achieve the gypsy/Princess Jasmine look, complete with gold belt and gold shoes!!!

[My gold shoes from Thailand. It actually has a sentimental value as it was bought by my grandfather for my mum!! ]

The shoes proved to be a huge problem for me. Having long feet and wearing a size 7/8, I had to squeeze my feet into size 6 shoes!! Oh...the things I do just to look good!! My mum has this motto when it comes to dressing up: "No pain, no gain" and in this case, she was soooooo right. By the end of the night, I could hardly walk. In fact, I had to talk off my shoes and walk back to the car. This morning, I found two blisters!! But then, as the motto goes, with pain comes gain. Everyone complimented me on my "gypsy" pants and gold shoes!! They were especially impressed that I had shoes to match the gold belt!! haha!!

Anyway, enough about my dressing. The reception went beautifully!! The setting was beautiful, the food was yummy and everyone was happy!! Like in any of my family functions, music was not absent. They was a band, my cousins sang and some danced and towards the end of the evening, the karaoke session begun.

Music is so important in my family, so much so that in order for "outsiders" (read: future husbands, wives, in-laws) to fit in, they would have to be very very supporting; for they will surely be "asked" (read: dragged, forced..etc) to sing or perform. This elicited a comment from my sis that, in order for us to know whether our future bfs/husbands would fit in, all we have to do is bring him to ONE of our parties and see his reaction. If he survives the night, he'll survive the family!! haha!!
[The bride and groom]
The night was indeed beautiful. Everyone had fun. Everyone was happy. Everyone was satisfied. And finally, everyone could heave that big sigh that has been held since news of a wedding was in the works.
Of course...the night ended with a 'thank-you' speech from the couple and the "passing of the marriage baton" to the next in-line: my eldest cousin (pic above), who promptly replied that he has the baton now and he knows he most probably is next!! haha!!
:-)

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...