October 12, 2010

Deepavali shopping: Round 1

So my sis, mum and I went on our 1st round of Deepavali shopping last night and it was such a disappointment. After having our dinner at Ananda Bahwan, we went from shop to shop looking for our (read: my sis and I) Deepavali outfits. Not only were the prices of the outfits outrageous, there were simply none that caught our eye. The trend this year seems to be the crumpled-looking Punjabi suits. There were 2 or 3 that were nice but the price was also “nice”. RM477 was printed on one of the price tags. But don’t worry…everything was on “discount”, 50%, which means the outfit still cost more than RM200 which is more than what I’d set aside for one person!!

After a few disappointing rounds in about 5 shops, mum started to insist that we get “normal” clothes this year instead of traditional clothes. But of course, my sis and I disagreed. After all, this is the one time in the year that we get to buy Punjabi suits. Granted, that besides Deepavali, we only wear Punjabi suits either to temples, during Thaipusam or weddings, but nonetheless, it’s DEEPAVALI!!

I felt so disappointed as I walked back to the car. I had really hoped to spot one outfit that I like and buy it, or at least get excited. Mum said that it’s still early and that as time passes, the better ones will emerge. But I beg to differ. After all, it’s only less than a month to Deepavali….plus…I’ve got only two weeks to get everything ready before I drown in my sea of meetings at the end of the month.

Hmmm………..round 2 should be this Saturday. We’ll probably go to Kamdar in Bukit Jambul. Let’s wait and see…..

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...