October 24, 2010

Round 3: Success!

Since Round 2 didn't happen last weekend, I was determined that Round 3 be a success. After the disappointment of Round 2, I got sick! As I said in my previous entry, I'd already started to have a scratchy throat and sniffles. Well...all that graduated into a full blown fever and cold attack. I went to work on Monday despite feeling sluggish and by Tuesday, I was bedridden. My head was heavy, my body was hot and my nose was leaking. I was on MC on Tuesday and Wednesday. All I did was stay home, lie in bed, drank lots of water and slept.

I had to drag myself back to work on Thursday as I had some important stuff to finish and send off to the printers. My poor colleague who shares my office room had to deal with my coughing, sneezing and sniffling for two days.

Saturday came fast enough, thanks to my two-day bed rest. As this was the last weekend I had before all my crazy meetings begin, Round 3 HAD to be a success. So the whole of yesterday morning and afternoon was spent in Little India. We managed to find our outfits and also a top for dad (although when he tried it on later, it was a tad too tight!!). We also got all the cookies and other tidbits (read: Indian sweets/candies, black donuts etc).

We also bought muruku flour and the whole of today morning was spent on that. There was a slight problem at the beginning as we couldn't get the right consistency for the dough to be pressed and shaped. It was too dry and it kept breaking. It just wouldn't hold its circular shape. After numerous attempts of salvaging the dough, a quick call to my grand-ma fixed the problem! Oh well...that's where experience comes in.

And so...after about 2.5 hours of kneading, pressing and frying, we managed to make 173 murukus (minus the broken bits and pieces). Not bad!! Right after all the washing up was done, mum, sis and I fell asleep!! Lol!

The house smells of ghee and right now...I'm in no mood to eat the muruku...just yet. A bit jelak for the moment. But I guess as the days pass and Deepavali approaches, I'll find myself reaching into the tin for a muruku or two.

It's back to work and meetings for the next two weeks. THANK GOD the last meeting ends just before Deepavali!

:-)

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...