October 1, 2010

Of being greedy

So lately I’ve begun to realize that I am becoming greedy. I find myself wanting things, and the only thing that is keeping me back from getting that stuff is the knowledge that I will suffer in the end if I indulge myself!

I don’t have the usual wants or desires to have the latest shoes, clothes or accessories. I rarely shop which is good for my pocket and bank balance; plus, I’m really picky especially when it comes to shoes. I can go shoe-hunting and still come back empty handed!!

Anyway, back to being greedy, recently, I took a look around my house and decided that my family (read: I) need a new sofa set. Our old sofa set was tearing and breaking, and when my grand-aunt was selling her house stuff away, we bought her two single bed frames and mattresses and used that as “sofas” for our house!! “Brilliant” idea as now…neither my parents nor my sis and I sit. We all lie down!! Pathetic I tell you, considering the fact that my mum had a “rule” to NEVER have a bed in the hall!!! People who came to our house compliment us on our creative idea but I’d bet they would never do the same.

So…having a new sofa set was one thing. Then as I flicked through the various channels on Astro, I decided that I it would be nice to have channels such as BIO, Discovery Health and Living etc. There seems to be more interesting things to watch on those channels. That’s added $$. So for now…I’m still counting to see if I can afford the addition.

Then there’s my sister and me always wanting to eat fast food like McD’s and Pizza Hut which would just burn a hole in our pockets! And it doesn’t help when Burger King is now opening a branch near your house!! Arghhh…

Of course…I always set aside some money whenever I receive my salary. That money either goes for house groceries, car repairs (this year alone there were so many unfortunate incidents with Wednesday being the most recent. My exhaust pipe actually broke into two!!), end of the year car road tax and insurance renewal, Deepavali etc.

Now I’m not complaining about not being able to get what I want. I can easily take money from my “emergency” savings to indulge my greediness but is it worth it?

I can do without the extra Astro channels. As for the sofa set…well…I’m pretty determined to get a set coz I’m beginning to get sick and tired of having a bed and mattress in the living room. It’s just bad feng shui. I’ve got some saved up money…so let’s see if I can find an affordable one.

Hmmm.....

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...