February 14, 2010

Red packets, Mandarin Oranges, Hearts

It's February 14th and this year, the day is extra special. Not only is it Valentine's Day, it is also the first day of Chinese New Year. So it's double celebration everywhere. For some friends of mine, it's triple celebration as their birthdays also fall on the same day!!

It's a long weekend, so naturally everyone's on holiday and travelling. Relatives of mine are no exception. 3 of my father's 11 siblings are back in town. So we kind of had a mini-reunion yesterday. Before that, my family and I were invited to our neighbour's reunion as it has been their practice to invite us every year. This year however, the food served was slightly different. Instead of the aunty usually cooking the whole meal, they catered. What did they cater?? Indian food!! Prawns, chicken curry, mutton kurma and Briyani. But then again, it's not something surprising as 90% of my neighbour's friends are Indians!! It was like there was a Deepavali celebration last night!! :-) Oh...and I got an angpow!!

Today, one of my colleagues was getting married. So for the first half of the day, I was in Bukit Tengah celebrating her wedding. It was unfortunate that my camera decided to go crazy today. I was so looking forward to taking pictures!! I'm not sure if it's the battery (coz I loaded new ones in) or the camera itself.

Being single, I've no plans tonight. I'm not even sure what I'm going to have for dinner since almost every Chinese shop is closed!! Tomorrow, I'll be driving across the sea to visit Trish. It'll be my first time driving to her house and surprisingly...my dad did not object!! I also have Yean Ling's house to visit but am not sure when I am going to do that.

Sighs...so far, I've been eating so many oranges!! It's as though oranges are going to be extinct!! I'm always like this during CNY. I just eat and eat and eat oranges. And then for the rest of the year, oranges are out of my diet!! :-)

I'm still waiting to eat Kuah Kapek and the sticky "Tikoi". Usually my neighbours will give us a plate of goodies but as I am writing this, I've yet to receive it. :-(

Oh well...as I wait to receive the goodies, I'll just go and eat more oranges........

Here's wishing everyone a HAPPY VALENTINE'S AND HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...