January 31, 2009

Washing away bad luck

In a weeks' time, it will be Thaipusam. The day when the Hindus fulfill their promises made to Lord Muruga either by carrying the kavadi or by carrying milk pots as offerings to Him. I've always "celebrated" Thaipusam, although I only go to the temple and pray for good blessings. I did however, carry a milk pot one year as my grandmother had made a vow to Lord Muruga in regards to my mum's health.

The journey from Waterfall Temple to the hilltop temple isn't far and I actually enjoyed myself as I was not alone. My whole family was involved; my cousin carried the milk kavadi; so did my aunt and little cousins. I felt refreshed and 'clean' afterwards.

Fast forward to this year, and I am once again contemplating carrying a milk pot this Thaipusam. Not that I made any vows or promises. You see, I didn't exactly start the new year very well. As you all know, the moment the clock struck 12 on New Year's, the first thing that greeted me was a fall. I fell and hurt both knees which caused me two weeks of limping and visiting the doctor.

As though that was not enough, BOTH my cars gave problems!! Call it coincidence or not, I figured I needed to do something. I had to cleanse myself and my family of all the bad aura that has been surrounding us. I'm not superstitious but once in awhile when many things happen in succession, I just know that it cannot be coincidence. After all, it's only January!! Who knows what else will happen? *touch wood*

While I have made up my mind that I am indeed going to carry a milk pot this year, I have people who have been telling me to shave my head instead. That's the other 'sacrifice' that people do on Thaipusam. I'm not exactly adverse to the idea of going bald (after all, I did consider going bald after SPM). However, I am vain enough to say that, one of the reasons why I will not go bald is because I worry about how I will look or what people would say. Now I know that some of you will say that, if I want to sacrifice for God, I should not let such thoughts stop me. I am sorry....but that is how I feel and I do not want to sacrifice without a full and sincere heart. I want to do something willingly and wholeheartedly. Another reason is that my mum said I'll look ugly!! :-)

Anyway, I'm excited despite the fact that I'll have to be a vegetarian prior to carrying the milk pot. Well, since I am going to cleanse my family's aura, I might as well "cleanse" my biology at one go.

I'm going to pray for success, good health, prosperity, protection from any evil or any harm (or accident) lots of love for me and my family. :-)

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...