April 25, 2009

Saturday "shopping"

Well...the day I've been waiting for the entire week finally arrived. Today, I went out with my sis and aunt to get our saree blouses sewn. My cousin's wedding is to happen in about a month's time, and all the female cousins have to wear a saree. While most (in fact, all) of us have escaped wearing a saree during Deepavali and other functions, we can't escape this time. It is the first wedding since my youngest uncle got married (some 15-16 years ago); and, it is the first wedding of the new generation (i.e. the grandkids), so...it's a big thing!!

I've only worn a saree twice. Once during my coming-of-age ceremony and another time during one of my cousin's coming-of-age ceremony. I've always been reluctant to wear a saree mostly because I think it is a nuisance, and secondly because I'm sooo thin, I'll look like a matchstick wrapped with a cloth!! Seriously, that's how I feel. The two times that I actually wore a saree, people (mostly aunts and oldies) said that I looked nice..etc. Well, they can't very well say that I look horrible during my coming-of-age ceremony, can they?

Even my sister can't escape. By right (or tradition), a young girl can only wear a saree after she has her coming-of-age ceremony. My sister hasn't had hers, but that is not an excuse. With my grandmothers being more open-minded these days, my sister HAS to wear a saree. hahaha!!!

In fact, my grandmothers are being more open minded than us!! They told us not to have our saree sleeves too long (!!) and to also have a nice back design!! *gasp* Plus....they advised us to have bra pads sewn in so that we don't have to worry about bra straps showing...etc! *gasp*

And so...along with my aunt, my sis and I got our measurements taken (I wanted to take a photo to mark the moment but we were so self-conscious, we decided not to), picked our blouse designs, paid the deposit and left.

My sister chose a string crisscross back design for her blouse, which I think is so sexy and modern!! She's going to outshine me!! Plus...her saree is bright pink which will make her look soooo fair!!! As for me, I was at a loss as to what design I should choose. I couldn't make up my mind, so much so that my aunt commented that even she had her designs picked out and I've yet to choose mind. My sister suggested choosing the same design as her but I didn't want to have the same pattern. In the end, I chose a simple design; just three bows at the back, showing lots of skin (this is my opinion!!). My saree colour is chillie red, by the way.

After I left the shop, I started to worry. I wondered whether the choice I made was suitable for me. Would it show too much skin? Was it old-fashinoned? Was it too revealing? What if my spine can be seen clearly? What if I have scars on my back?

All these questions whirled around in my head. Am I regretting my choice? I don't want to regret anything. My sister calmed me down, saying that it was a nice design and that I'll look fine. But until the blouse is sewn and I've tried it on...I think I'll continue worrying. Hmmm....

Now that we've got the wheels in motion, I'm quite excited about wearing a saree. Just the other day, I found a picture of me wearing a saree during my cousin's ceremony, and OMG...I looked horrible!! I had short hair, was wearing a purple saree and had so much make up on!! My mum said I looked older in the picture than I look today!!

I really really hope that I'll look better this time. After all, I've learnt my lesson. I'll use less make-up; my hair is longer now; I believe I look more matured (not older) than I did back then; and...I'll wear the saree with confidence. After all, my mum always tells me and my sis, "It's how you carry your clothes that counts; not what you wear!"

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...