May 16, 2009

Books

Books! I love books!! Especially new books. I like the smell, the feel/touch and the un-dogged ear-ed pages of a new book. Also, some new books have a certain "new" smell, just like new t-shirts.


I can't remember how old I was when I first started reading; but I can clearly remember my first set of books. It was an entire Walt Disney collection, produced and distributed by the group Brolio. I used to love reading the small, thin books that came in the set, instead of the bigger, thicker ones that contained more stories. One favourite story was 'Little Hiawatha', which had a cute, little red-Indian boy as its central character.

When I was in Primary School, the Famous Five and their adventures by Enid Blyton were my companions. I borrowed the books from the library and my dad's friend gave me a few. I used to imagine myself as part of their gang!!

When I started High School, I graduated to the mild Mills & Boon series, Harlequin Sweet Romance and the works, all introduced to me by my mum. I think this was the stage that really got me hooked onto reading. I read at least 100 books. This was possible thanks to the existence of second-hand shops set up by St.Nicholas' Home and Salvation Army. The books that were bought were then exchanged at a bookstore located at Chowrasta market. Going there was like going to book heaven!! Unfortunately, I think the owner has passed away. I've been there a few times but the shop is always closed!! :-(

In college, my selection expanded to Danielle Steel and John Grisham (thanks to my lecturer). I even started reading chick-fics by Sophie Kinsella and Cecelia Ahern.

And of course, who can forget the Harry Potter craze, which has now been taken over by the Twilight craze!! I was there all the way!! hehe!!

Then...I also have the oddities. I call it the "oddities" because these are unconventional books that I would not usually read. Among them are, The Secret, Mahabharata, Sakuntala and the Bhagavadgita. I've also read the Christian book, 'The Purpose Driven Life'. I think that reading these books gives me a balance. Else, I might be stuck in the romance-fantasy books.

My latest latest readings have been connected to work, since my boss insisted that all new staff had to read certain books. I've read 'Resisting Poisons, Reclaming Lives', 'Politics of Hunger', 'Women without Voices' and 'Poisoned and Silenced.' I don't want to list them under my "oddities" list coz these books were read unwillingly. I've been trying to read another book entitled, "People, Plants and Patents' but I'm not going anywhere with it. I think I am going to drop it.

Ahhh.....when I look at what I've written in this entry, it looks like I've read a lot. But then again, I feel as though I haven't read much!! What irony!! The picture above is a picture of the books that I have at home. The picture really does not do justice to the amount of books I have as it only shows the front part of the cabinet. I've not read even half of those books but someone has. My mum!! Just goes to show where I inherited the 'worm' from.

Ok then...I'll stop here. Time to look for another book to read.

1 comment:

Orkid Galistan said...

I bet those books all grandma have read it....rite??

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...