May 10, 2009

The weekend

I update my blog when I feel like it. If I have something to say, rant about or just plain gossip, I update my blog. If it's someone's birthday or a special day that I remember in time, I update my blog. Like I said in my previous entry, one of the things that I was afraid of was, was having a dormant blog, with no regular updates and worst of all, no readers!! But I've learned and decided not to care whether I update my blog regularly, or whether I have readers.

---

Anyway, as I sit in front of my computer,enjoying the last few hours of the weekend and of Mother's Day, I suddenly have the urge to write about my weekend. Nothing special happened. Nothing exciting occurred; but still...the urge or rather "calling" to write is overwhelming. And so...here's my weekend.

SATURDAY - the morning started like any other Saturday morning; with my mum waking my sis and I up to go to the market. Getting up was especially hard as it was drizzling, so you can imagine how hard it was to give up the warm cocoon of the blankets and the temptation to snuggle down deeper into the covers. BUT!! Being the good, sweet daughters that we are, we got up, dressed and drowsily followed mum round the market; one carrying the umbrella and the other struggling to cart around the market basket (the one with wheels).

We had our usual (make that every weekend) breakfast of Mee Soup at our favourite coffee shop. Then we headed to Little India to get some stuff. There, mum found her Mother's Day present. Earlier, she had hinted that she wanted a perfume and my sis and I had already planned what to get her; something that she wanted and something that would not put a hole in our pockets. Anyway...since mum rarely asks for things, sis and I decided to buy what she had chosen. Personally, I'd rather have had the surprise element when she opened her present. Nonetheless, since she wanted this and she was already smiling when she saw it...I thought What the heck? So, we made the purchase: a bottle of the perfume Charlie.

We then left Little India and headed to Farlim to put all the stuff that we had bought from the market. We then decided to have vegetarian food for lunch, thus heading to the vegetarian shop nearby. As it was Wesak Day, the place was crowded; but since we were going to 'tapau', it didn't matter.

That afternoon, the whole family watched a Tamil movie, Aegan. It was one of those modern, full-of-action movie and it was interesting. The only complain I have was that there were no subtitles!! Imagine having to watch a movie that's in a different language with no subtitles!! I can understand Tamil, however it is limited. Instead, I can watch a Hindi or even Tagalog film without subtitles and would understand those films better than a Tamil one!!

Later that night, dad, sis and I had Nasi Kandar for dinner before heading to my grandma's house. There, we picked my two aunts up and decided to go to the Buddhist temple to pray. We went to two temples and it was closed (it was 11pm btw), so we decided to go to an Indian temple as it was also the 'Mini- Thaipusam'. However, that plan was also disrupted as the roads leading to the temple were jammed. In the end, we ended up at a Thai Buddhist temple. Thankfully, it was still opened, so we managed to pray and get our wrists tied with the signature saffron string.

SUNDAY - Today, I woke mum and sis up. The weather was again cool, so it was no surprise that mum and sis were asleep still. Haha!! The ritual for the day was the same. Market, breakfast then home. There was a slight difference however, in that my sis decided to take the camera along as she wanted to "document" our weekly "journeys." I'll leave that to my sis to elaborate. We went to my grandma's house for lunch where we had a very very hearty meal of chicken curry, nasi minyak, cucumber salad and mango chutney. YUM!!

After lunch, we headed back home and watched tv, while mum and dad slept.

---

Just a few more hours and then it'll be time to sleep. Then it's another whole week before I start my weekend ritual again!

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...