May 31, 2009

May 31st and the coming of June

It's the final day of May. Just a few more hours and it'll be June!! My favourite month!! Anyone who knows me well, knows why I love June!! Hahaha!! It's rather obvious actually. My birthday's in June!! Of course, I used to get so excited about it waaaayyyy before the actual date!! I know, I know, such childish behaviour. But what the heck?!

However, the degree of excitement had to change 2 years ago, when my uncle passed away on my birthday. I was praying so hard for him to survive the night, but alas, he passed away the next morning. I do have to admit that I had a selfish reason for not wanting him to pass away on the next day. After all, it was my birthday and who wants to have a death occur and then remembered then after for years and years to come that someone had died on that particular day?! Of course, when we got to the hospital, everyone anguished over his death and of the significance of the day. I did feel guilty (and sad) but I also couldn't help feeling cheated.

My uncle was a big presence in our family and his passing was of course tragic. It was as though God had blew off the brightest candle in the room. What I feared would happen (that is, his death overshadowing my birthday) did indeed happen the next year. My grandmother actually reminded me of his passing day and did not know that it was my birthday too!! When I told her that he had died on my birthday, she was actually surprised!!!

Anyway, it'll be my birthday in a few days' time, which of course is also the 2nd death anniversary of my uncle. I've come to accect that my birthday will always be "shared" and I think I am ok with it. But what I do not like, is the constant reminder of or rather cliched greeting of: "Happy Birthday!! How old are you today? So sad huh, that he (my uncle) had to die on your birthday?? He was such a....." *sighs*

Anyway.......this year however, there's something more exciting to expect in June. My cousin's getting married and so...it's like THE event of the year!! haha!! I'm so excited!! I'm hoping that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday goes really fast (since I'm on half day leave on Thursday) and then I'm off to KL!! Woohoo!!!

1 comment:

Vayshna said...

and you get to look forward to receiving presents frm me and amah too thogh we're still not sure what to get you and it's only 2 days away!! hahah...=)

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...