December 8, 2008

Being the bigger sister

"We're always learning from others; be it from someone older or someone younger."

We're as different as chalk and cheese. Not only in personality, but also in looks (though some say we look alike). I love to eat only the creamy part of a cake, while she only likes the cake bit. I only eat the egg-white of a hardboiled egg, while she eats the yolk. Mum always says that with the two of us, she saves a lot because nothing goes to waste!!


My sister and I have a six-year age difference. Being the elder half, people may assume that I bully my kid sister and that we constantly fight. But contrary to what people may think, my relationship with my sister is as close as sisters can get. I can tell her about this guy that I like or that girl that I hate, and she'll understand. And vice versa, she can tell me about which gang in college she despises and which college has the cutest guys!! We share the same taste in guys, movies, songs and nowadays, clothes!! She teaches me what is hip and fun, while I teach her what is proper and casual. I teach her patience and she teaches me to be brave to act. She lends me her clothes but rarely borrows mine, as mine are "old". But as much as we find joy in shopping for clothes and modelling them around the house, we have our moments of "this is mine and that is yours", "Who is prettier"...etc. It's not selfishness or vanity. It's just plain sisterhood. And of course, there's also our favourite past time: combining our "forces" of wit and humour, and pitting them against mum and dad!! Ahh....the joy and laughter (and sometimes, scolding) we experience, is simply wonderful.

Needless to say, just like all siblings, we do have our differences. There are times when we just can't see eye-to-eye and I suppose that's normal. After all, I don't expect a 18 year-old to agree to everything that her older sister says or thinks. She calls me old-fashion, while I call it elegance. She calls me boring, while I say she's just restless. While the age-gap does confer problems and causes us to fight over petty things, the joy and fun that we have together overcomes all the "adversities" that we face. We may fight, quarrel and refuse to speak to each other for hours, but when the time comes, and one is in need of help or simply a shoulder to cry on, we both know that we are there for each other. We're always on the look out for each other, secretly protective of each other's well-being and welfare. And of course, without each other, who else do we get to point a finger at and blame the other for a mistake or accident that has occurred, if not for "sister"?? :-)

2 comments:

SFGEMS said...

That was simply wonderful to read!

Excellent work!

Vayshna said...

Awww...so sweet!! hehe...

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...