December 31, 2008

Reflecting on 2008

Another year has come to an end. 366 days passed in a blink of an eye. What have I accomplished this year? I made a list of things to achieve in 2008 and while not everything was crossed off, I am still proud to say that at least some were accomplished. Not bad for someone who rarely sticks to resolutions (not that anyone does, anyway!). Things that were on my list included getting a job (checked); write more articles for the newspapers (checked. I didn't say it had to be published!); pay for my sister's driving (I've started saving…hehe); start paying for my own hp bill (checked) and start paying back my study loan (checked!).

2008 was a year in which I really grew up. After being cushioned with the safety and certainty of 11 years of schooling and then another 5 years of college, bursting into the working world was indeed an eye-opener; esp
ecially since my first full time job was (and still is) with an NGO. An acquaintance once said, "Join the NGOs and see the world", and see the world I did. Not in the literal sense where I travel the world like Angelina Jolie or Oprah. Travel I did. Around the world I did not.

Within the first three months of work, I was sent to India to organise, facilitate and manage a conference that was to be held on March 8 in conjunction with International Women's Day. The 3-day event in March was back-boned by my month long stay in India, together with my supervisor and another colleague. Together we survived the long nights, early mornings, sweltering heat and lack of amenities to successfully pull off the conference, which nearly 1000 women attended.


My month long stay in India exposed me to the harsh lives of the Indians there, es
pecially since I was working closely with the community who were of the lowest caste. Not that it made any difference. Caste is after all only a word. To me, anyway. Being the youngest there and what more a girl, naturally I was pampered and taken care of. Though homesickness was like a man dying of thirst, once things were in motion, the ache subsided. Towards the end of my stay, I was glad that I was going home. At the same time, I knew that I would miss India. And indeed I do. I actually miss eating Indian food three times a day; miss travelling around in an Auto; miss being in a different land. But most of all, I miss the people there. Rosalin, Vimala, Shanti, Thenmozhi.

Working back in the office after being so used to working on laptops while sitting on my bed back in India, it took awhile before I adjusted to sitting in front of the computer for 7.5 hours a day, having lunch at regular hours and going home on time. Nevertheless, working conditions in India soon became a mem
ory as things started to be a routine. There were the occasional meetings in hotels and the yearly staff planning meeting on Penang Hill, but other than that, it was staying in the office 7.5 hours a day.

October was an eventful month as I went to Bintulu. My first time traveling to East M
alaysia. The lifestyle there was slightly different from West Malaysia, despite both east and west being one country (read more in my Bintulu entries).

Then came Deepavali, which was a time I really enjoyed as this year sort of marked the end of Deepavali being spent in Penang. Families are all moving to better grounds for better opportunities, so the venue for Deepavali 2009 is still undecided.

From July to December, I experienced certain moments in my life that made me gr
ow up. Not that I didn't learn anything in the first half of the year. It's just that in the second part of 2008, I learned what working life is all about; how to deal with people; and how to sometimes just listen and not retaliate, as silence is sometimes the better choice.

December was the month where I fell in love. Or was it November? Hmm…anyway, yes I fell in love. Yes it was with a guy (*grin*). But no, we're not in a relationship. For those who know me, they'll say that I've gone crazy. Falling in love with a fictitious character from a book that was soon turned into a tall, walking heartbreaker on screen. :-) Yes yes…I fell in love with a vampire.


2008 was also the year of marriages and pregnancies. It's hard for me to accept that I am now 24 years old and that next year, I'll be turning 25. 1/4 of a century. Half of 50. The age my mum got married. Some of my schoolmates are already married and have kids. Some have just gotten engaged and some are still in the throes of courtship. Do I see myself going down that path anytime soon? Or perhaps in 2009? No. I'm leaving all that in God's hands.


2008 also gave me two new friends. First colleagues but now friends who keep each other sane. One in particular is my travel partner for work. We survived India and we survived Bintulu. It's nice to have friends at work, so you're not bogged down with work and stress. Lunchtime is fun too as there's always laughter.

And so…as the last few hours of 2008 comes to an end, all I can say is this: The year was not a bed of roses as there were a few thorns hidden. I pricked myself and I bled. But I healed and now I am stronger than I was before. Emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. As I embark on my journey into a whole New Year, I can only hope for, pray for, ask for, believe in and receive good things for me and my family. I refuse to let anything hold me down in my pursue of happiness, success, wealth and good health.


To my family and friends, I wish you HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS!

1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

A wonderful read. Filled with hope for the future! Go get 'em, Girl!

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...