December 12, 2008

Day 3

This is the second edition of "Day three of shopping with Amah". The first edition got lost in the mail.

Day three of shopping with Amah:

Waves and waves of conflicting emotions filled Amah as she stepped out of the car. There, right outside the shop was Amah's favourite vehicle: the Thrift Shop's pick-up lorry. And behind the lorry, were Amah's best friends: the workers hard at work, unloading sacks and sacks of newly donated goods. A smile as big as Batman's Joker was pasted on her face. This sight obviously excited Amah because the more sacks there were, meant the more things she could buy.

As we entered the shop, I noticed that Amah's "VINCCI Department" was once again filled with a variety of shoes, from knee-high boots to worn-out sandals. Surprisingly though, none caught Amah's attention. Then I noticed the jeans rack which was also full. Unfortunately, the jeans' on show were only fit for construction workers!! As I stood by the jeans rack, Amah immediately started browsing through the clothes rack. At the speed in which she was going, one would think that she had been given a time limit!! But once again, she surprised me. After browsing through only two rows, she proceeded to the books section. Usually, Amah leaves it up to me to look for books for her but today she wanted to do the books selection.

Once she had gotten the book of her choice, she went on to her favourite section of the shop: the BAGS. Unfortunately, the place was in a mess because the workers had pushed the rack to an odd angle. This in turn made reaching the bags hard. But this did not deter Amah for she had me there. SO, with my long, thin hands and flexible body, I maneuvered myself into weird positions just to reach the bags that Amah wanted to see. But I must say, that my hard work and fantastic gymnastics were not wasted as Amah eventually bought two bags.

Then, as I was straightening myself from a 165-degree position, I noticed a huge pile of clothes next to the bags rack. It was so huge that I felt like jumping in!! It was then that I knew how Amah felt every time she came to the shop. I looked through the top of the pile but that was not satisfying enough. And at one point, I even asked my father to carry and throw me in the pile!! *sigh*

After "we" had satisfied ourselves, we left the shop. Amah did not say much on the way home but as soon as we reached home, she spoke her mind. She complained about not being able to look through EVERYTHING and that it frustrated her. I nearly rolled my eyes until I remembered the huge pile of clothes that also left me unsatisfied. SO, all I did was console her and told her to be proud of her achievements for the day. After all, she was the only person there with a daughter who was willing to do Olympics-style gymnastics despite not having learnt the sport. With me at hand, Amah got most of what SHE wanted to see and that alone is a loss to the other shoppers there!!

So, once again, shopping with Amah turned out to be quite an event. I learnt the sport of gymnastics in 15 minutes and Amah, well; she was left unsatisfied once again.

*To be continued.....*

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...