January 15, 2013

Leaving Home


After having two farewells for my trip to Germany, I spent my last day here finishing my packing and buying last minute stuff. Then I spent the afternoon in the shop with my family, all the while trying to be strong and not break down.

I went home early, thinking that I would sleep early as I had to wake up at 4am the next day. I was wrong. After checking my bags and then having my bath, it was midnight. Surprisingly, I could sleep; in fact, I slept quite well and even woke up only when my sis’s alarm rang!

At the airport, it was quick work of wrapping and strapping my bag, dropping off my bag at the check point and then I was ready to leave. We had about maybe 20 minutes together before I had to go in. I was adamant that I would not cry or have tears in my eyes. My sis beat me to it as she had tears in her eyes when we hugged. I wanted to be strong and so I did not break down, although I was soooo tempted to cancel the trip!! What an utter waste it would have been.

The flight to KL itself was horrible! As it was cloudy, the plane was shaky and my heart kept jumping up and down in its chamber! I kept clutching the seat handle and praying!! I wondered if my flight to Amsterdam would be the same. God forbid no!

Upon reaching the airport and getting my gate number and going through immigration, I changed terminals. Most of the cafes were full but I managed to find one ‘Malaysian Recipe CafĂ©” which was quite empty. I had a coffee as I had no appetite to eat. Unfortunately, the laptop could not connect to the WIFI so I couldn’t go online.

Thank God for the HP!!! God…I’m going to miss my family soooo damn much. But at the same time, I knew this is a great opportunity and not many people are lucky enough to experience it. I hope I enjoy myself while at the same time, the two months passes quickly! J

The flight to Amsterdam was soooo long that towards the end of it, I felt sick. In fact, I didn’t even eat the second meal that was served. Despite being advised to stay awake, I slept most of the time. The cold hit me the moment I stepped out of the plane in Amsterdam. I rushed to the immigration where I was questioned and my bag was searched. Nothing illegal was found.

By the time I took the Berlin flight, I just wanted to get over it. I felt sick and was ready to crash.

Marie met me at the airport and we went straight to the apartment. The owner, a lady was nice and friendly. It’s a really small apartment; literally 5 rooms only including the kitchen. There is no hall. But my room is big and comfy. I have two cupboards, a full length mirror, a bed, a TV, a radio and even a 3 seat dining table.

After going over the formalities, I was left alone. I washed up, texted my parents and just went to bed. 

--

1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

It's good to document your Berlin stint. Years from now, it'll give you a chuckle to see what you felt.

Bravo!

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...