January 27, 2013

What a Saturday


Despite sleeping at 4am, I got up at 9am feeling ok. I had expected to be tired and sleep in late till it was almost time to meet Wolfgang. Instead, I got up early, went online to update my blog and post the few pictures that I took.

Then I decided to call my sister, just to check how much it would cost to make an international mobile call from my German prepaid number. I tried looking online for the call costs and also wrote to the customer service centre, to which they said they would reply to me in a few working days (all this in German, mind you). Therefore, the faster way for me to know was to call. Result: it costs Euro 0.99 per minute. Not bad I should say. Of course I don’t intend to call them everyday. But since my laptop soundcard isn’t functioning properly, this is the next best thing.

I met Wolfgang at 12 noon for coffee. We talked about the exchange programme, what I am currently doing here, about PAN AP and some other general things like traveling etc. He seems quite OK but still…intimidating. He is the BOSS! He mentioned that he always sees me on the laptop at work and said that I should mix more with the other trainees. Well hello….they are all also always on their computers; and I DO participate in their meetings etc. Hmmm….maybe it's becoz I am not in the same room as the others. Well that will all change next week when some of the trainees move to my room.

So my first sightseeing tour of Berlin happened today; and boy was it fun, tiring and COLD! I met Clod at the bus stop around 1.30pm and from there, we took a bus to Hauptbahn Hof, the central station. From there, began our long tour walk. I really appreciate her taking the time to show me around. The first place we went to was Reichstag, their Parliament building. Impressive! It was so cold to be walking outside but what the heck? From there, we carried on to Brandenburg Tor (Gate), a landmark and symbol all in one with over two hundred years of history. We also entered the Room of Silence (Raum der Stille). This room was opened in the northern gatehouse of the Brandenburger Tor. Its opening was inspired by the meditation room in the UN building in New York. The Swedish General Secretary of the UN, Dag Hammarskjöld, (killed in an accident in 1961), set it up for his colleagues and himself. The Room of Silence was prompted by calls from the East Berlin peace movement, and was taken up by people of differing religious and cultural backgrounds.

From there, we took a walk and on the way, we entered Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, which was impressive; then walked over to another gallery which held a single monument named Neue Wache, which is a sculpture of a Mother with her Dead Son. This sculpture is directly under the oculus, and so is exposed to the rain, snow and cold of the Berlin climate, symbolizing the suffering of civilians during World War II. A few more steps and we entered the Deutsches Historisches Museum but we didn’t look around. Apparently, the museum will have free entries tomorrow as it is a special occasion. I haven’t decided if we will be going there again tomorrow.

Further down the road and we reached ‘Museum Island’ (Museumsinsel), which is the name of the northern half of an island in the Spree River in the central Mitte district of Berlin, Germany, the site of the old city of Cölln. It is so called for the complex of five internationally significant museums, all part of the Berlin State Museums that occupy the island's northern part. Nefertiti is in one of the museums here. We entered one museum to inquire about the 3-day pass that we heard about; after getting the information that we needed, we decided that we will purchase this 3-day pass and then come back one weekend to go to all the museums.

By then, the weather was too cold and our hands were freezing. So we headed to Hackesche Hofe, which is a heritage site consisting of eight communicating, restored rear courtyards. We had coffee and cake at one of the cafes. From there, we headed to Alexanderplatz, where layer upon layer of Berlin’s urban history is located in interweaving centuries of social, political, and architectural history. Here, I saw the Fernsehturm (the TV tower that is Berlin’s highest building) and the municipal building.

As the weather was getting colder, we decided to head home and warm up, before meeting up for dinner again later. Clod and her friend met me at my apartment and we headed to an….INDIAN restaurant for dinner. Lol! Her friend was good looking :-), but unfortunately not single. I guessed that he would be in his early thirties and turns out, he's only turning 30 in August. Lol! That is two German guys so far who I approve of in the looks department! Lol! The three of us ate and talked for hours before calling it a day.

When I reached my room, I noticed that my hsemate had changed my bed sheets. How sweet!!

By the way, I did stop by at Madame Tussauds but we didn’t go in as Clod told me to check out the prices in London and see which is cheaper to go to. Apparently, the one in London is better.

Overall, I had a wonderful day although I wished it wasn’t so cold so I could take more pictures. I am looking forward to visiting the museums and I hope to take more pictures then!

--

No comments:

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...