January 24, 2013

Rested and not very cold


I don’t know why but I was somehow so sleepy last night. I was watching television and the next thing I knew, I had dozed off. When I woke up, it was nearly 10pm; so I switched off the TV and went to sleep; only getting up at 7.10am today. Hmmm...

When I got up though, I felt rested (not that I was tired or anything coz I haven’t been doing much at all) and not so cold! I looked out the window, and although there was snow, it wasn’t as much as yesterday. I went online, chatted with my sis and FB-ed with my colleagues back in Penang. They will be on leave tomorrow as it’s a public holiday. How nice!! That’s one thing I miss about Penang – the public holidays! Here in Berlin, after New Year, the next public holiday is at the end of March for Good Friday! And by then, I’ll be home already! The Penangites will also be on leave next Monday! Grrr...

Anyway, I came to Berlin with two pairs of boots, thinking that I would wear them alternately. I noticed the other day that the insides of the brand new boots that I bought before coming here looks like it’s almost worn out and it’s only the second week! So I decided that I will leave it behind at the end of my trip as I’m convinced that it will only last until then. Then this morning, I noticed that the sole of my old trusted boots is also wearing out!! It looks like I’ll have to leave/throw both of them at the end of the stay; and it looks like shopping for a new pair seems inevitable. But I’m not going to rush out and buy one just yet. One good thing is that I’ll have extra space in my luggage! Lol!

At the office, I had my meeting with Claudia. We discussed about our mini-trip to the refugee centre tomorrow. I’m quite excited about it as I’ll be seeing a different side of their work and also different people. I hope I get to take some pictures. It’s a half-hour bus ride to get to the place, so I hope I see a slightly different side of Berlin. I also got my mini research project. Right now I have about two weeks to come up with the paper, though the deadline is adjustable. I’m quite happy with what I have to do, so let’s see. J

There is also this Solidarity-Party for refugees and migrants this Friday night and apparently it’ll start about 10pm. It’s a way for the refugees to earn some money to fund their centre. I want to go but I’ll have to see what the other trainees have planned as some will be going to a meeting (which is in German) before the party. Let’s see if I make it to my first party in Berlin!

I had a very healthy lunch of a salmon-egg-cheese-lettuce sandwich. Everything was nice except the salmon!! I thought I’d give it another try since I didn’t like it the last time; but I maintain my stand. No salmon!  

At 3.45pm, when I looked up from my laptop and out the window, it was snowing!!! I must ask someone to take a picture of me in the snow; if not today, soon.

The other Claudia (Clod) came today. Incidentally, there are two people with the same first names: one who’s sort of like my supervisor and now this other one who is only part-time as she travels from Munich. They have come up with a solution to this same name problem: my supervisor will be called Claudia and the other will be known as Claud (though they spell it Clod).

Anyway…Clod is practically my neighbour. She lives one street away from me; basically within walking distance. She’s the one who offered to show me around Berlin and I’m taking her up on that offer. We have plans to go out this weekend; although the timing will have to depend on what time we get back from Friday’s party. She self-declared herself to be my tourist guide. J How sweet is that!

Now that I have this weekend set, I’m wondering what I should do next weekend. My hsemate suggested that I go to Hackescher Market just to look see. Maybe I’ll do that. Or if I can get a long weekend, maybe I’ll go to London. Let’s see coz I also don’t want to take advantage of their good hospitality. After all, they are paying me to be here. I don’t think they’ll mind as I have been told that if I want a long weekend, I can take it; but still…Even if I don’t go to Amsterdam or Poland, I should go to London since there are people there and I won’t be alone. So here’s to planning...

--

1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

Hope London works out for you!

Take a chance!!!!

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...