January 20, 2013

One week!


 So it’s day 7 of my stay here and it’s Saturday!

I got up at my usual time and just lazed around in bed for awhile. Then I texted my sis and asked if she was going to be online so we could chat. I checked my emails and FB, and then sis and I spoke for nearly 2 hours, updating each other of the past week’s events, even though we email each other every day. It’s just nice to hear a familiar voice. J

Towards the end of the call, sis couldn’t hear me properly and Skype put up an alert that the soundcard couldn’t be detected! I panicked. I ended the call with the promise that we’ll try and Skype again today or tomorrow. I then switched off the laptop, washed up, changed, got my breakfast ready and re-started the laptop. I checked the sound and it wasn’t so clear. I used the headset and checked but there was still something wrong! Oh no!! I want to be able to Skype with my family and friends!! I wrote to Rosmah (my colleague back home who is in-charge of the PCs), asking what’s wrong and if it’s ok to get someone here check it. L

I had cornflakes, muesli, oats and chocolate cuts with milk for breakfast. My stomach has been making weird noises since I arrived; and no…it’s not hunger pangs. It sounds like my food is digesting but it’s really loud. I sometimes wonder whether people can hear it! It sounds like I have small birds in my stomach. :s

The sun was up at about noon and it was shining through my bedroom window and onto my bed. I was so happy as it was BRIGHT! I knew it wouldn’t be warm but still…to see the sun. So I decided to go for a walk and when I stepped out the door….I saw the sign that reads the temperature. It read: -4C (later I found out that it was actually -6C)! Nevertheless, I still went for a walk round the block (I bumped into my hsemate outside and she said we’ll both go for another walk tomorrow and maybe have coffee somewhere) and took some pictures. By the time I went back, my hands were so frozen, it was painful! So much for the sun!!

I met Anna (my colleague who lives nearby) and her bf Stephen for coffee at a café near my place. We talked for about 1.5 hours. When I returned back to my room, my hsemate had bought a thicker comforter for me, longer gloves and also containers so I could carry food to work! How sweet is that!!

And then…the best part of today: I spoke with my family!!! Somehow…the soundcard worked and I managed to talk to my sis again, and mum and dad!!! It’s just so good to hear their voices especially since mum and dad are hardly online unlike my Singapore parents. J

There are 51 days left of my trip starting tomorrow. Although I should be relishing my time here, it’s so hard not to feel homesick. A colleague and I are planning to go around Berlin next weekend, so I’m quite excited about that! But the week at work has to pass first. Lol! The people here so far have really been kind and sweet. In fact, Claudia called me earlier asking if I had enough long underwear because the weather has become really cold. I feel so grateful and blessed to have these people and help around me. I really will think twice before saying no to helping a foreigner who comes to Penang. That’s one of the first lessons I’ve learned since being here.

--

1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

It's always refreshing to see someone who receives kindness wanting to return kindness.

It shows that deep within you, you are not a selfish person.

You can empathize with others.

Love you.

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...