February 26, 2013

14 days to go!


As of today, there are officially 14 days left of my trip! That means, 14 days left before I see my family again!! Woo!!!

You know, there is one habit that the Germans here practise that I find amusing: blowing the nose. Yes…during winter our eyes water and our nose starts running as though we have a cold but without the unpleasantness of it being blocked. Now, I was taught that when I sneeze or want to blow my nose, I should do it discreetly. So that’s what I have been doing here. The Germans however, sneeze for all to hear; and when it comes to blowing their noses, it’s as though they turn into elephants to perform that task.

I mean, from the buses to the office to anywhere…people just blow their noses LOUDLY, not worrying or thinking about others around them. Granted, it’s their right to do as they please but isn't it proper manners to sneeze or blow your nose discreetly? Here I am trying to be polite so that I don’t sound disgusting when I blow my nose; but there they are, blowing their nose as though they’re playing an instrument!

Anyway, I made a checklist of the things I need to pack for my trip back. For those of you who know me, I always have a list for stuff: groceries, what to pack, what to do etc. I left the notebook that I had used to write down the list I used while packing for this trip at home, that’s why I have to come up with a new list. Shouldn't be too difficult since I’m heading home, and so I can just pack almost everything and leave behind stuff that is finishing or that is of no use i.e. my broken boots.

Being in Germany, I've been able to help a friend’s aunt, who is facing some legal family issues. She’s going through a divorce; and being a Malaysian with not much contacts or help in this country, she’s having a tough time. My friend asked me if I could help her (she’s based in Frankfurt) and so I called and talked to her, got a gist of what her situation is like and then proceeded to talk to my colleague, Anna, asking for her advice. It’s so good to be working in an organization full of lawyers, especially when there is a problem like this. There is immediate concern and help at hand. J I’m not sure how much we can help her but we did put her in contact with a lawyer who is based in Frankfurt and hopefully, things will work out well in the end.

I had a nearly 2 hour chat with my hsemate today. Since I didn't see her during the weekend, she came to say hello, and from then on, our conversation ran from what I did during the weekend to how fast time has flown, to how different the family systems are between Europe and Asia, to how difficult it is for men to change etc. A person needs at least an hour to spare once a conversation with her starts. Now I’m not being mean or anything but she does tend to go around the bush and by the time she thinks in German and speaks in English, time just flies.

So that was today. Some of the people from the office will be leaving to India tomorrow, so the office is going to be quite quiet for a week. Hmmm…

--

2 comments:

SFGEMS said...

Ah Choo!!!!!!!

Hahahaha!

Have you heard anybody farting yet?

Shakun said...

Hahaha!! NO, thank God!!

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...