February 13, 2013

Restless night…better day


I once again slept early last night; not because I was tired or anything. I was just bored. So I switched on the radio, listened to some music and soon my eyelids were drooping. Despite my early night, I had a restless night. I dreamt of so many things; from my family to work to nonsense. I must have had too much on my mind before I slept (I actually had read a 50-page article before deciding to go to bed).

Therefore, when I got up this morning, I felt as though I had sat in a 10-hour meeting. I felt tired mentally, which is not good as the senior retired lawyer was coming today! Yawn!! I was still bothered about my so-called “what I have learned here” issue. I am pretty sure that the time I have spent here has been useful; but for the life of me, I don’t know why this is bothering me. Perhaps I am afraid that I will not be able to answer questions when I am back home. Or that they will think that it was a waste of time as I “didn’t” learn anything useful.

The bus was slightly late today. And by the time it arrived, there were already so many people in the bus. Thankfully I managed to get in and not get squashed. I understand why people would still want to board the bus despite it being full. I mean, they were probably late for work or an appointment. But just as I got down at my stop and as my bus drove pass me, I saw another bus right behind that was only half full!! Aiyoh!


This was exactly the same thing Singapore mum told me. J Claudia also said that she understands that people have expectations of me (and they would probably expect something concrete) and very often, there is no answer to their questions. She also said that it’s good that I voiced my doubts and worries as it’s a learning process for both sides. The end result would be to have both sides saying that this was a very valuable, informative and meaningful stay that was worth it for everyone. On a personal level, I can already say that this trip is worth it! I feel much better after talking to Singapore mum and Claudia. I guess I got worried too fast. There will be no “formal” review this Thursday as what we talked about this afternoon was sufficient; and since we both have nothing extra to add or say, this afternoon’s talk covered my review! Plus, she likes the way I re-worked my work plan to include a comments column where I stated everything that I have done so far. It shows something concrete and that I wasn’t just idle all this while. Her words, not mine. J

Right now, I just plan to learn as much as I can; and enjoy the rest of my stay here. Why plaque myself with unnecessary worry? It just wastes time and makes me miserable. I’m going to forget about all this nonsense and concentrate on enjoying my last few weeks here.

I also joined in Clod’s meeting with Robert and it was an interesting discussion. I asked questions and Robert was actually nice enough to take the time to explain to me and made me feel included. I’ll be joining all the meetings that he has while he is here. I figured, better learn from an expert and even if I can’t contribute, heck, he’s helping ME! J

On another note, my boss here still can’t get over me being here in winter. He told me that during the weekend, when he was in the countryside, sitting by the fire and having a barbeque, he thought of me! Lol! He still finds it amusing that I came from such a hot country into the dead of winter!

-- 

2 comments:

SFGEMS said...

You have a touch of being a perfectionist in you. That's why you are so hard on yourself. You question and probe and prod and analyse until you get so tired.

Chill, Sweetheart! Love ya.

Shakun said...

:-)

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...