February 17, 2013

The Wall again!


I woke up at 8.45am today and I heard my hsemate walking around. I wanted to “catch” her and ask her about last night. But then, it’s a Saturday – her off day - and if she wants to avoid me, what can I do? She already told me that she usually just lazes around and sleeps in on weekends. So to be awake at 8.45am on a Saturday and having an EARLY night the day before…make you curious no? But at 10am, she came to greet me and plan for the day! I mentioned that I didn’t see her last night and she told me that she was out. Hmmm…ok.

So we left the apartment at 11am and on the way to a blind home that she wanted me to see, we saw a sort of flea market and decided to browse there before going to the home. She wanted me to see the place and the crafts that they make at the home as she found it impressive. Not only blind people live and work there, but other disabled people as well. I told her that my sister works in a similar place and that they do similar things, but she insisted we should go. So we did; we even had coffee and cake there.

After that, we headed to Checkpoint Charlie - the best known border-crossing of the Cold War days. I got the feeling that she only wanted to show me the place as she was walking quite fast; but I did manage to take a few pictures. When I asked if we were going back and if I could take more pictures (after we were far away…), she said we’ll come back another time for pictures!!! :S Then we headed to Potsdamer Platz - the most striking example of the urban renewal that turned Berlin into the ‘New Berlin’ in the 1990s. We walked through the mall and then went to the Cinemaxx where the Berlinale is happening. There was a red carpet, but no stars as it was still early.

Next, we went to see a church (I don’t know why) and then the Philharmonic place, but that was closed. By then, it was 3pm and so we headed home as my hsemate had to be back by 4pm for another appointment. Instead of going home, I headed to Hermannplatz, where Karstadt is. It’s a warehouse shopping mall and here…I managed to buy souvenirs!!! I’m not done souvenir shopping but still…it’s a start. J

When I was making myself a cup of hot chocolate later in the day, my hsemate came out of her room. She had decided to postpone her appointment again (she was supposed to meet her friend last week) as she felt lazy. So…we spent the evening together, going through photos from Penang; and in turn, she showed me pictures of her home town in Salzburg. Then she Googled some pictures to show me the different landscapes of Germany. :s 

Anyway, one thing that I have noticed since coming here is that, there is no fan or air-conditioning unit. I have always wondered where the fan or air-cond was when I watched movies; and I always told myself that it’s Hollywood and it’s just a movie. But then…when I came here and I asked my hsemate and colleagues, they told me that they do not in fact use fans or air-conds. There is of course the heater for winter and in the other seasons, they just leave their windows open; even when they go to work!! Imagine doing that in Malaysia!! 

Am not really sure what I am going to be doing tomorrow. Maybe I’ll just go for a walk.

--

1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

All the experiences you are accumulating! Nice!

Somehow, even the mundane things about this trip will make you smile when you re-read this post later.

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...