February 1, 2013

Bye-bye January - Windy Morning


I just want to say that JANUARY is OVER!! Now this month passed fast, considering that it feels like only a short while ago we ushered in the New Year. Anyway…

----

As it has been the last few days, I once again didn’t want to get up this morning. Not that I couldn’t but I didn’t WANT to get up. When I looked out the window, there was no sun or rain and it was sooooooo windy, that I could hear the howling of the wind! I was so tempted to call in sick but then again, ‘touch wood’ I don’t intend to jinx my healthy stay here. But as the hours passed, the sun came out, shining brightly!! That’s always a welcome sight.

My walk to the bus stop and subsequently to the office was an adventure itself! The bus was so packed that I was worried that I would not be able to get off in time. Then, upon alighting from the bus, the wind suddenly became soooo strong, I could hardly walk straight!!! I could actually feel it pushing me sideways!! But I knew I had to keep moving else the cold would have gotten to me. Thankfully I was carrying my laptop, which I would say helped in preventing me from flying off. :p

Marie and I made plans for the weekend. We’ll probably go to the Neues Museum where Nefertiti is; and also go shoe shopping! Marie and I will probably get the 3-day pass even if we don’t visit all the museums as it’s cheaper and then Clod and I can go to the Pergamon Museum the next day. Let’s see.

Most of the female legal trainees (well, we only have 3 male legal trainees) only want to join the shopping part of the day as they are all on a tight budget and the museum entrance fees are better spent elsewhere. Linda said we could go to two shopping places - Zalando Outlet Store and also Berlin Neukölln Bargain Center - as they are super cheap and for Euro 50, I could get a few things. I hope I don’t go crazy and buy nonsense. Lol…luckily it is winter, so it’ll probably be winter wear on sale.

Being with the trainees who are financing their own stay here made me realize that I am so damn lucky to have this opportunity, where everything is paid for, plus I get an allowance! I still can’t believe my luck and indeed, I must make the most out of it, both personally and professionally. As it is, just working with the people here have made me want to take a deeper interest in my work back home; not that I haven’t been interested, but probably search deeper within myself to see how much more I can contribute.

Today was also the weekly movie cinema. We watched the movie “Maria Full of Grace”, about a young pregnant woman who was forced to into becoming a drug mule. It’s a story so similar to stories we hear and watch about young woman entering the drug world, whether by force or willingly.
By the time I reached home, it was already 7.45pm and I couldn’t buy my usual cup of hot chocolate or coffee or cappuccino. I’m really getting spoiled!! Lol! I came back and did my accounts – calculating how much I have spent so far – just so I can keep track of my expenditure and make sure that I am not overspending or overindulging. My hsemate and I have developed this routine of chatting almost every night. It’s nice to be able to talk to someone and not be stuck in the room the moment you get home.

Today was cold; and all because of the wind. During lunch, the sun was shining directly on me and I could feel the heat! But with or without the sun, the wind just kills you. Now I know why people say beware of the winds!

It’s Friday again tomorrow; and then it’s my exciting weekend!! J



1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

Just to boast a bit, I saw that movie "Maria, full of grace" almost 10 years ago.

It was such an eye opener.

And about everything else, you're such a responsible person. All that you write shows it. ;)

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...