February 7, 2013

Weather


Being in a different continent and experiencing a whole new weather system, I can’t help but comment on the weather every day!

Today, as I got ready and even while at work, the sun was up. Everything was bright and cheerful and in a way, it made me feel better. I don’t know why, but the last two days, I’ve felt down. Not sad or depressed, but just down. Could be because my body is tired after the eventful weekend and it is taking time recuperating.

I also have to say that I don’t think I have walked so much in my life!! If I thought that I had walked a lot in Singapore last year, the experience here beats that! Even when we couldn’t find a bus or the metro station on Monday night, Clod wouldn’t even think of taking a taxi. I was more than willing to pay but no! God... the weekend and then Monday, my legs feel as though it went through an exercise regime fit for an Olympic runner!

The side near my big toe on my left foot hurts. I’m not sure if it is because it’s constantly wrapped in socks, my boots are too constricting or it’s the way I walk. Anyhow, I wore my new boots today. It seems heavier than my old one but it could be because the sole is bigger and tougher. Typical winter boots. It’s also more comfortable but I’ll have to wear it for a few days and see if my foot gets better. Else, I’ll have to go see a doctor.

There was a press conference at work today, on “Digital arms trade and corporate responsibility for human rights”. The featured speakers were: Maryam al-Khawaja, co-founder and executive president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (Copenhagen) and the daughter of imprisoned since April 2011 in Bahrain human rights activist Abdulhadi Al Khawaja, Wolfgang (the boss), Eric King, research director of Privacy International (London) and Christian Mihr, managing director of Reporters without Borders (Berlin). Impressive people, no? It lasted for about an hour and was mostly in German but I read the announcement and was sort of able to follow as Eric King and Maryam spoke in English.

The trainees meeting was also today and it was a bit confusing as the topic was about ‘cultural imperialism’ which was connected to an interesting article I read about transitional justice. Nevertheless, at the end of it, I think all of us were a bit confused as the topic is so broad and there was no proper end to the discussion. We ran out of time!

I also stayed back to join the cinema night thingy. It was an interesting documentary on abortion; why are illegal abortions more accessible in Poland than legal ones in South Africa? The documentary feature explored and contrasted changes in Poland and South Africa regarding abortion laws and their impact on the lives of women. 

The tech guy is supposed to come tomorrow to check my soundcard and for the first time, I HOPE that the soundcard doesn’t work, so that the problem can be diagnosed.

The weather today was actually VERY nice. Sunny the whole day! But not hot. If only everyday would be like this till I leave. Sighs…

By the way, I forgot to mention that I stopped using my gloves since Saturday. My hands no longer freeze! Which means two things: one, I’m getting used to the weather, and two, the weather is improving! Lol!

-- 

1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

Everyday is different and even if you think the things you are writing everyday is the same, don't stop.

Months or years from now, you'll appreciate the details because they will transport you back to this time and memory.

Trust me on this! :)

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...