February 3, 2013

Saturday - Nefertiti and more


This entry is one day late.

Today marks 3 weeks since I have been here! How time flies indeed! The days and weeks seem to go by in a flash; and I think it’s because I have something to do almost every weekend and I don’t have the time to just mope around. I am actually wondering whether I will go back to my usual routine when I’m home, or change how I spend my free time at home.

I was texting with mum last night and she told me that I will miss Berlin. And you know what…I will indeed miss Berlin. I know it! The people that I have come to know, the familiar places around my area where I live, the easy-going lifestyle and the fact that I actually lived in another country, another continent, in a different climate, all by myself! If that alone is not a wonderful, wonderful memory, then I don’t know what planet I am living on.

I will admit that when this exchange idea came up and I was set to go, I had a lot of doubts, fears, insecurities etc. But I must say, all the sacrifices have paid off and I do feel as though I have grown. J These last two paragraphs sound like the entry for AFTER my trip but I feel oblige to state it even now coz I know this is one hell of an adventure and experience that will forever be etched in my mind. Only God knows WHEN I’ll return here, possibly with my family.

So the first thing I did when I got up this morning was look out the window. And there was no sun. L I was hoping for the sun so that it will be a wonderful day to be outside, sightseeing. Plus…it was drizzling.

After changing and eating a breakfast that I hoped would last me till mid-afternoon, I then left the apartment to start my day. I took the U-Bahn by myself to Alexanderplatz and I felt victorious thereafter, when I managed to meet Marie at our appointed meeting place. And I was right on time! We then took the S-Bahn to Hackesher Mrkt and from there we walked to the Isle of Museums.

We headed straight for the Neues Museum where Nefertiti is, and stood in line to get our tickets. The line was quite long but it was moving fast so the wait wasn’t too long. We decided to get the 3-day pass as it was cheaper and so that Clod and I could visit other museums in the next two days as well.

With the tickets and guide book in our hands, off we were to start our tour back in time to Egypt, Rome and Greece! We spent nearly 3 hours in the museum and we didn’t even feel the time pass. In fact, we were supposed to meet Bibiana and Linda ay 3pm but we only met them at 5pm!

The exhibition was fantastic! I just couldn’t get enough of it and the fact that I could take pictures…wow! I mean, I was seeing ancient artifacts, real tombstones, sarcophaguses, and of course…Nefertiti!! She was placed in one room, all by herself, right in the middle. The moment I entered the room that was next to hers and I spotted her, I couldn’t concentrate on the rest of the exhibition! But I forced myself to be patient, before Marie and I spent about 20 minutes just staring at her. She was perfection! If she was a real person, I can imagine that she would be really beautiful. At the same time, I couldn’t help but wonder whether the artist who did the bust had exaggerated in detailing her beauty; After all, she was a queen who was revered. Nevertheless, Nefertiti was a sight to behold!

Marie and I couldn’t believe and accept the fact that we were seeing all these things from millions of years ago. And the funny thing is, we’re seeing it in Berlin, not Egypt! Lol! Now I can’t wait to see the Pergamon Museum.

After touring the whole museum, we decided to go have coffee and cake before starting our shopping. We didn’t spend too much time shopping as we had dinner to attend and we were already running behind schedule. I managed to fine a pair of real winter boots and it was cheap for European standard. I actually like another pair but it wasn’t suitable for the weather, so there was no point getting it; plus, I would not be wearing it back home!

So Bibiana, Linda, Marie and I headed to Analene’s house after our shopping, and there we helped prepare dinner. It was to be a cheese fondue dinner, so everything had to be bite-size. Of course there was wine; every dinner seems to have at least 2 bottles of wine. J

The dinner was great! The food was good, the drinks were good (there was wine and schnaps), and the company was good. I had a really good time; considering these are my colleagues! We didn’t talk about work at all! We should have such gatherings back home! But the difference is, most of the people here are single.

Also found out that Claudia is gay; though I had suspected. Lol!

We finally left Analene’s house at 2am. Bibiana and I walked back home. Clod and I made plans for tomorrow and possibly Monday. J

I suddenly feel as though my time here now is running with the speed of light! And to think that I was counting down the days to go home! Now I am counting down how many days I have left here!! Everyone is telling me to come back for summer and that’s going to be my next motivation – to save money and return during summer!

--

1 comment:

SFGEMS said...

Put it on your Bucket List. The good thing is that there is no time limit and no pressure.

One day when you can, you look at your list and then realise that you can do it and you do.

The part about your father not recognising your voice was funny. :)

One Year

*Late entry* December 17 th  2023  Exactly one year ago, Ben and I took our vows and promised before God and our loved ones, that we will al...